Six Norfolk Academy seniors signed their commitments to play college athletics during a ceremony on April 27, 2023.
Coupled with other seniors who signed commitments at different times during the school year, that brings the total to 17 members of the Class of 2023 who will be competing in college.
Director of Athletics Chad Byler opened the ceremony, celebrating the hard work and determination each of the student-athletes has shown during their Norfolk Academy careers. He also noted the hard work put in by parents, teachers, and NA's College Counseling office, which helped find the best fit for the student-athletes.
“You may be going on to some new teams but you're a Bulldog for life," Byler said.
Steve Monninger, the Academy varsity football coach and member of College Counseling who works directly with student-athletes, followed. A college athlete himself and a college coach earlier in his career, he noted that collegiate student-athletes must put in a lot of extra effort to succeed. But he offered no doubt that the group of six will do just that.
“Be ready to push harder than you ever have before," he said. “We know you will continue to make us proud."
Each of the six student-athletes then spoke, thanking their families, teachers, coaches, trainers, and a host of others who helped them reach this point.
James Benedetto: “I am grateful for the memories and experiences that I will cherish forever."
David Denson: “I am grateful and optimistic for the opportunities to come."
Jordan Epps: “Playing these last few seasons at Norfolk Academy truly has been a once in a lifetime opportunity."
Reagan McGee: “The past four years have been an adventure to say the least and I can't wait for the next four."
Audrey Permenter: “I want to thank my team for constantly pushing me and helping me grow."
Chloe Swatts: “Swimming at Norfolk Academy has taught me the value of a team."
Congratulations to all of our seniors who will compete in college:
- Henry Allgeier – Naval Academy – Sailing
- James Benedetto – Christopher Newport University – Football
- Miller Carr – High Point University – Golf
- David Denson – Hobart College – Rowing
- Jordan Epps – Hampden-Sydney College – Football
- Anne Burns Fiveash – University of Richmond – Field Hockey
- Jack Gross – Sewanee: University of the South – Baseball
- Ashley Huddleston – American University – Field Hockey
- Angelina Lancey – College of Holy Cross – Track and Field
- Reagan McGee – University of Tennessee at Martin – Beach Volleyball
- Nolan O’Boyle – University of North Carolina – Wrestling
- Logan Pausch – Cornell College – Wrestling
- Audrey Permenter – Tulane University - Sailing
- Alden Roberts – New York University – Volleyball
- Rebecca Schill – Bowdoin College – Sailing
- Chloe Swatts – College of William and Mary - Swimming
- Childers Winn – Sewanee: University of the South - Baseball
Watch the Spring Commitment Ceremony on our NA-TV broadcast channel.