Out of necessity, Spirit Week and Homecoming took on a different look in 2020.
One thing did not change, though: the strong showing of camaraderie and community from Bulldogs everywhere.
The worldwide COVID-19 pandemic has altered life at Norfolk Academy and schools across the nation. State guidelines make large gatherings like pep rallies impossible. For the safety of the entire Academy community, the school is limiting the number of visitors on campus, forcing postponement of alumni reunions. Athletic contests are temporarily halted.
Even amid those conditions, the NA community came together from October 12-17, both on campus and online.
On campus, students still wore the daily outfits that traditionally commemorate Spirit Week. Among the popular clothes the first few days: Pajamas, team jerseys, and red, white, and blue. On Friday, students across all three divisions showed their Bulldog pride by wearing the orange and blue school colors.
Students also received masks as they entered school on Monday and Homecoming 2020 buttons on Friday.
Another on-campus highlight was the installation of the 19 new members of the Tunstall Student Council on Friday. Frank Mercer IV '21, the newly-elected Council President, gave a powerful speech about the courage students have shown this unusual year.
The week also included many activities for alumni and Academy families. These included:
- Focus on the Fine Arts Tuesday, with encore presentations of the Spring 2020 virtual Be Someone Concert and Fall 2019 Dance Concert.
- Admissions Open House for Alumni Zoom on Wednesday.
- Zoom seminar with Toy Savage '71 on Thursday, when he discussed master teachers who have inspired the Academy community over the years.
- Stretching and breathing Zoom session with teacher-coach Elbert Watson on Friday.
- Encore presentations on NA-TV on Saturday of four classic fall athletics contests, chosen by Academy coaches.
In addition, everyone in the community was invited to submit photos highlighting their favorite Academy memories. This turned into a popular endeavor, with different photos gaining excitement on Academy social media each day.
Thank you to everyone who truly made this a great week to be a Bulldog!
To enjoy Spirit Week and Homecoming again, please visit the Homecoming 2020 page.