During an assembly on Monday, December 5, sophomores and juniors received an introduction to Maymester, Norfolk Academy's experiential learning program that closes the Upper School academic calendar.
Maymester launched in 2022, as students traveled to locations around Virginia, the United States, and the world, immersing themselves in topics including architecture, leadership, negotiation, current events, and community engagement.
In this year's kickoff meeting, students heard about the 17 different programs they will choose from as they close this year. These include returning opportunities such as:
- Travel abroad in France and Germany
- Exploring architecture in Chicago, forensics and art around Washington D.C., the U.S.-Mexico border, and Civil War battlefields around the commonwealth
- Learning about poverty while serving our greater community
- The art of negotiation
- Hiking the Appalachian Trail
- Internships around Hampton Roads
They also include exciting new offerings:
- Digging into archaeology in Greece
- Language immersion in Peru
- Studying materials science
- Mind and body wellness
- Exploring the world's climate
Maymester will run for almost three full weeks, from May 23 through June 8. Students must submit their requests for their desired programs by mid-December.
Read more about Maymester in our fall 2022 magazine