Work at Norfolk Academy
Selection of faculty at Norfolk Academy is based on a candidate's commitment to the moral and intellectual formation of students, academic credentials, teaching and coaching experience, as well as additional extracurricular interests.
Because the school's philosophy asserts that the education of a child extends beyond the classroom - that the teacher-coach role model is the person best positioned to advance the philosophy and mission of Norfolk Academy - each faculty member serves as an advisor to students and is assigned additional extracurricular duties that range from advising student organizations to coaching athletic teams.
To be considered for a vacancy, please submit a cover letter and résumé through our online employment application.
Teaching Associate Program
The purpose of the Teaching Associate program is to recruit and develop young men and women to serve as role models and sources of moral, academic, artistic and athletic enrichment for students at Norfolk Academy. Teaching Associates will enjoy a one-year experience or apprenticeship to ready them for full-time positions in independent schools.
Teaching Associates will have a demonstrated commitment to:
- Character development and leadership
- Caring for and nurturing children
- Academic excellence in their chosen field of study
- Intellectual curiosity and inquiry
- A firm understanding of the importance of honor in an academic community
- Arts and / or athletics
- Teaching as a profession
- Bettering the communities in which they live
Teaching Associates will work individually and collectively to advance the overall philosophy and objectives of Norfolk Academy. They will work on special academic projects at multiple grade levels in the Lower School and in conjunction with the Bulldog Leadership Program, Young People's Theater Program, Bulldog Athletic Leagues and other programmatic initiatives as needed. Working on a daily basis with classroom teachers, as well as with individual students and small groups of students, Teaching Associates will have ample opportunity to observe and actively assist master teachers at their craft and help advance the education and development of children. Teaching Associates will also assist in the extracurricular life of the school by serving as coaches and leaders in arts and athletics.
The following is a list of benefits and related support provided for Norfolk Academy's full-time faculty and staff. More information is available from the business office.
- Positive, supportive school community that promotes and expects the highest standards
- Financial support for post-graduate and continuing education
- Comprehensive mentoring program for new teachers
- Hospital, Surgical and Major Medical Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Retirement Plan (MassMutual)
- Retirement Health Care Coverage
- Life Insurance
- Breakfast and Lunch during the school year
- Cancer Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program / Counseling
- Flexible Spending and Dependent Care Plans
- Worker's Compensation
- Legal Resources
- Disability Insurance
Current Staff Opportunities
Explore our Community
In the Heart of Hampton Roads
Norfolk Academy does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, age, status as a veteran, and/or national origin.