COVID-19: Updates and Resources
The Latest News, Information, and Valuable Resources from Norfolk Academy
Norfolk Academy's highest priority is the health and safety of all our students, and we are closely monitoring developments about the worldwide COVID-19 outbreak and following guidelines from medical authorities. The goal of this page is to provide the latest updates from our school, as well as academic and health-related resources valuable to our entire community.
As we advance through our 2020-21 school year, we continue to follow the guidance of health experts, as well as our medical task forces that have been providing recommendations since the COVID-19 pandemic began. We believe that all of our initiatives constitute the most painstaking and methodical approaches to safety that we could develop, ones that we hope will bring an added measure of confidence and underscore our determination to use every resource and asset available to us to safeguard our children, faculty, staff, and community.
- Upcoming calendar: We anticipate remaining a regular on-campus schedule for the remainder of the 2020-21 school year.
- COVID-19 testing: We are continuing with our saliva testing, through New York-based Mirimus, for all on-campus students, faculty, and staff. These tests, which began in August, will be conducted roughly every other week until further notice.
- Athletics: Our team training camps ran successfully from late September into early November, with several hundred student-athletes across Middle and Upper School participating in the masked, socially distanced after-school activities. The Tidewater Conference of Independent Schools, in which NA competes, met early this school year to finalize details for the athletics seasons. All schools in the TCIS have agreed, per a joint statement, “to adhere to risk mitigation protocols, to prioritize participation over competitive standings, and to maintain mutual trust and communication among our schools in the interest of serving the health and safety of our student-athletes.”
We will follow the TCIS calendar for the remainder of this school year:
- Winter season: November 10-January 23. Swimming and diving teams competed in virtual meets. Basketball teams competed in masked intramural contests, with the varsity boys and girls each competing in one game against Steward School, on January 15.
- Fall season: January 25-March 5, with a mix of interscholastic and intramural competition.
- Spring season: March 23 until late May. Co-ed sailing will be a spring sport this year.
- Dance: The Academy Dancers will perform three shows this year, with their practices following social distancing and mask protocols. The team's first video-recorded show, It's Gonna Be A Bright, Sunshiny Day, premiered on Norfolk Academy's website in February. The second show, One Moment In Time, premiered on the website in April. The third, Alice In Stevie Wonderland, will premiere later this spring.
- Academy Players: During winter season, from November into February, the Academy Players practiced, recorded, and edited their seasonal play, It's A Wonderful Life: A Radio Play. That audio performance is available on the Fine Arts section of the NA website. During the fall season, which began in February, students performed a play called Casting in the Time of Covid, a comedy recorded via Zoom. A spring performance is scheduled.
- Distance Learning: Please remember that all families can sign their child up for our enhanced Distance Learning Plan, if that plan best fits their needs.
- We ask that families sign our Acknowledgement of Community Responsibility before beginning classes on campus.
Norfolk Academy Counselors
As we experience the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic in our daily lives, particularly through the move to distance learning and the requirements of social distancing, we are united as a Bulldog community in meeting this challenge. Yet we know that families are facing unexpected stress and anxiety as a result of this significant disruption, and our school counselors are available to help.
If you would like to schedule a phone call or a Zoom meeting with a counselor, please contact them by email and provide times that you would be available to meet. They are monitoring their email, and they will get back to you promptly.